The Ashland Outdoor Store

Author Archives: admin

• SOU Outdoor Program - Rogue River Whitewater Rafting: Oct. 22nd

Join the Outdoor Program on a whitewater trip to one of the most notable local venues in the Rogue Valley. The trip will consist of a rafting trip down the largest river in the valley, and numerous rapids that are rated as high as class IV (which means you'll get wet!). Come prepared to have an awesome time on the Rogue River!

Sunday Oct. 22nd, 10am - 4pm

• SOU Outdoor Program - Winter Break Ecuador Expedition - Informational Meeting: Oct. 23rd

This December, join SOU's Outdoor Program and venture into the world of international exploration. This month long trip, from December 10th - January 5th, will take you to the beautiful country side of Ecuador. Spend your time backpacking in the foothills of the Andes. Go rock climbing in the cloud rain forest and rappel tumbling falls into cool jungle pools. Be a part in changing a local student's life with their community service projects and international mentorship program. Build lasting personal and professional relationships and learn what it takes, what it means to be a global citizen. This trip is all inclusive meaning the fee covers airfare, insurance, guides, translators, food, lodging and gear. The unofficial fee at this time is $2800 per person but is subject to change through fundraising efforts and potential contributions from the university. The fee may be billed to your student account or paid with a personal card, check or cash.

To apply for the trip, please fill out their sign up form and answer the following short essay question: What long and short term goals would you give yourself during the course of this trip and beyond? How will this benefit your education experience and what do you feel you will be able to bring back to the campus community? How do you see this trip building you as a global citizen?

There will be an informational meeting on Monday, October 23rd from 5PM - 6PM where they will answer any questions and share more of the places we will be traveling. Until then, send all questions to reddyc@sou.edu.

Visit https://sou.campuslabs.com/engage/submitter/form/step/1?Guid=3e50bd11-eef4-4c80-8fa6-1eae98c16bfc for more information or follow the ticket purchase link on this page to sign up!

• SOU Outdoor Program - Climbing Day at Terra Nova: Oct. 21st

Hello all! Come join the SOU Outdoor Program on October 21st for a day of rock climbing at Terra Nova. It's a beautiful area, and will be a great day in the outdoors. If you've never been rock climbing then come learn in a welcoming environment! If you have been, come and hangout with some great people! There will be food, and the company of some incredible people! Please join them and bring your friends.

9am - 5pm @Terra Nova

Hope to see you there!

• Siskiyou Mountain Club - 2017 Volunteer Rendezvous and Celebration: Dec. 8th

From high in the Cascades on the Pacific Crest Trail, to the depths of the Wild Rogue, Siskiyou Mountain Club's volunteers work their tails off to keep trails alive throughout our region's public lands.

They sustain foul weather, long days, heat, and for days at a time without any amenities.

Come hear some stories from 2017, meet their volunteers, and tell them thanks. And be the first to hear Siskiyou Mountain Club's 2018 plans and sign up for trips next year.

Then head next door to the RAM Restaurant & Brewery - Medford for a cold one.

7pm TO 10pm at REI, Medford

Sign up for the event at https://www.rei.com/event/siskiyou-mountain-club-volunteer-appreciation-night/medford/187921

• Rogue Riverkeeper - Wild & Scenic Film Festival: Nov. 10th

Join Rogue Riverkeeper for the 5th Annual Wild & Scenic Film Festival at the Historic Ashland Armory. This year's event will be bigger and better than ever!

Considered one of the nation’s premiere environmental and adventure film festivals, the Wild and Scenic films combine stellar filmmaking, beautiful cinematography and first-rate storytelling to inform, inspire and ignite solutions and possibilities to restore the earth and human communities while creating a positive future for the next generation. Come enjoy award-winning films about nature, community activism, adventure, conservation, water, energy and climate change, wildlife, environmental justice, agriculture, Native American and indigenous cultures.

Films this year include stories about skiing in Iran, the elk migration through Yellowstone, and pipeline fights in Virginia and here in southern Oregon.

Doors will open at 5PM for a Social Hour, Silent Auction, music, food, info tables and fun. Presentations and films will run from 6:30 - 9:30PM.

This year's keynote speaker is Tim Palmer; author, photographer, and river connoisseur. Tim has recently published his book Wild & Scenic Rivers: An American Legacy and will be showing images from his book and talking about the importance of our Wild & Scenic Rivers. Tim will have his books available for purchase at the event.

Don't miss out. Get your tickets today!

https://secure.everyaction.com/Ful6_UMIaEKIdPmmpWVEuQ2

• The Ashland Outdoor Store - Fjallraven Kickoff Event: Oct. 13th

Fjallraven Kickoff Party

October 13th. 6:30 - 8:30pm

- A free Hydroflask pint glass filled with beer for our first 50 guests.
    - 10% off our entire line of Fjallraven clothing & gear
    - In-store flash giveaways

The Ashland Outdoor Store is the only independent retailer of Fjallraven in Southern Oregon.

We are proud to offer our customers timeless, durable and functional outdoor clothing and equipment from Fjallraven. Like Fjallraven, we are convinced that products that last longer are better for the environment than trendy items that only last one season. Fjallraven is careful to ensure that their products are manufactured correctly from the start. They are constantly striving to improve processes, select suitable raw materials and decrease consumption of water, energy and chemicals.

• Southern Oregon Land Conservancy - Mushrooms at Rogue River Preserve: Nov. 19th

REGISTRATION opens OCTOBER 5, 2017 at 6am.

Fee: $10

Guide: Mike Potts (naturalist, mushroom enthusiast and photographer)

Focus: Mushroom identification

Description: Learn how to search for and identify edible and toxic mushrooms around the Preserve. Help SOLC add to their official mushroom species list Mike Potts started in the spring.

About the guide: Mike is a photographer and proficient mushroom identifier. Mike’s photographs can be seen in 1859 Oregon’s Magazine, the cover of the Medford phone directory, and in the Audubon Mushroom Field Guide app for i-phone. Check out his Flickr page at flickr.com/people/29798416@N08/.

Limit: 15

Meeting Location: Rogue River Preserve

Southern Oregon Land Conservancy recently purchased and conserved the 352-acre Rogue River Preserve. For more information on this property go to Conserve the Heart of the Rogue.

Difficulty: Easy slow hiking on and off trails or roads. A portable toilet is available at the Preserve.

Directions will be emailed upon registration. For more info or help with registration call 541.482.3069 or email info@landconserve.org.

Waiting List:
    Folks on the waiting list often get invited to the hike, so please add your name if the hike is full.

Banner image: Scutellinia scutellata (Eyelash Fairy Cup) image by Mike Potts.

https://www.landconserve.org/upcoming-entries/2017/rrp/mushrooms

• Southern Oregon Land Conservancy - Stewardship Day at Williams Creek Reserve: Nov. 18th

Support healthy wildlife habitat, join us for a stewardship day along Williams Creek!

Southern Oregon Land Conservancy is hosting a volunteer work party and they'd love for you to join them! Come spend a morning at the beautiful Williams Creek Reserve where they will be stewarding the land for wildlife and healthy plant communities. Plus, they'll share snacks and learn some facts as you work on this protected property. Tasks include removing blackberry and planting native trees.

They'll provide tools, gloves and snacks. Please feel free to bring your favorite gloves if you have some.

Since 2003, SOLC has owned and cared for this peaceful 30-acre floodplain forest near the town of Williams.

Register to receive directions, any updates and an email reminder.

Contact Teresa if you have any questions or need help registering at 541.482.3069 ext 107 or teresa@landconserve.org.

https://www.landconserve.org/upcoming-entries/2017/11/18/stewardship-day-at-williams-creek-reserve

• Southern Oregon Land Conservancy - 2017 Conservation Celebration: Nov. 10th

The Southern Oregon Land Conservancy invites you to join them as they celebrate 39 years of safeguarding our beautiful lands of Southern Oregon.

This event will feature local wine from Wooldridge Creek and Dana Campbell Wineries, live jazz by Ed Dunsavage and Tony Hayes, and superb appetizers and dinner of your choice of filet of salmon, chicken cacciatore, or crispy polenta cake with wild mushrooms. They will have a fantastic silent auction and an evening program that will highlight our achievements over the past year and ambitious plans for the future. It's the perfect way to spend a fall evening while supporting land conservation in southern Oregon.

The evening will conclude with Southern Oregon Land Conservancy's annual Save-an-Acre program where you can join the excitement and help out by making a donation to land conservation in our region.

To buy tickets:

• Return the reply card and a check included in the mailed invitation
    • Buy online
    • or Call their office at 541-482-3069
    • RSVP by October 29!

https://www.landconserve.org/upcoming-entries/2017-conservation-celebration

• The McLoughlin Quad, by Michael Biggs

Two years ago a buddy (Chuck) and I, both avid and slightly deranged climbers decided to do ‘the triple’, we climbed Mt. McLoughlin 3 times in about 17 hours, it was incredible hard! Since then, he always joked about “the quad”, my response was no F-n way!!!

Well, climbers are not slow learners, we’re just fast forgetters’. On one of my many hikes up McLoughlin this season (18 to date, this year), I started thinking, I wonder IF I could do it 4 times? Once the seed was planted, it was on. But, I knew I needed more motivation than just proving my 50-year-old body could still get it up (the mountain) 4 times. Then along came the Trump Administration’s recommendation to possibly shrink the Cascade-Siskiyou Monument. THAT would be my motivation. So, I sat up a Facebook fundraiser going the Friends of Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument. I had no idea if anyone would donate to my stunt, so I picked a random goal of $999 (I’m happy to say to date, I’ve raised over $1,200!). I know McLoughlin is outside the Monument, but I feel it is our regions Sentinel and it watches over the monument and our amazing region as a whole.

I picked the date 9/24 figuring cooler days and generally great conditions on the Mountain. Well, then came in the smoke and for a couple of weeks it seemed like the climb many have to be cancelled. Then we got a winter-like storm in Mid-September, which was awesome, it cleared all the smoke, but it left behind a shocking amount of snow for this early in the year. The week leading up to climb time (Sunday, 9/24/17) was spent with much trepidation and reconnaissance to determine if it could be done in the snow. Finally, the night before I decided to give it a shot and just see if it could be done.

I got up at 12:30am (ouch) and drove up, hitting the trail at 2:30 am. I felt good, very good, I trained well and fueled my body well (doing an ultra-marathon-like carb loading protocol in advance). Then about 60% up I stared hitting snow and by the summit it was winter mounteering conditions, still I made it car to summit and back in 5 hours. I then texted my wife “It’s on” .

I kept pit stops back at the car very brief, I already had laid out new sox for each lap, along with enough calories for each lap in the form of gu packets, carb-heavy bars, trail mix, CHOCOLATE, etc. and about 2-3liters of water per-lap. The second lap was very similar, but a shade faster, because of the daylight (round’s 1 and 4 we’re in the dark), the only issue was the snow was getting softer and I was starting to post hole in the snow up to my knee (the quad didn’t really need to be made more difficult, but it did add badass points to the trek!).

Third lap I started to feel a little fatigue and the mid-day conditions in the mushy snow were terrible, from the saddle to the summit constant pot holing, but the lap was made fun as my amazing Mountain climber wife and our dog Emily (she has her own Instagram and Facebook pages @thehikerpup) was on the lap with me, we went at different paces, but we crossed paths on the way up and she fed me and gave me more water, love her! I also, hit “the zone” at about mile 30 nothing hurt and I was in get-r-done mode. Green Day’s American Idiot album got me to the summit and Pink Floyd’s The Wall got me back to the car! the 3rd lap was longer (about 6 hours, but I felt fine)

For lap 4 I had my security blanket Chuck go with me. I’m crazy, but not insane, it would not be safe given my level of fatigue at this point to try a final lap in the dark, in the show all alone. We embarked on lap 4 around 7:30pm. I’ll admit it, my heart sunk as we crossed the bridge at the trailhead going back up… AGAIN! My Wife dawn made me some real food (wraps) that I ate as we walked. And, we just headed up. My body was about over it, but then I found a well of energy that to my knowledge I’ve never tapped in to before and it just became about the next step, the next safe choice. I did have one fall, just enough to scare me into increasing my focus. Conditions, we’re marginal for the last round. The wind picked up and it was cold. The show that had been melting all day was now re-frozen and very slick, but we trudged and trudged and eventually my tired old body summited for the 4th time at around 11:00pm. We literally spent minutes at the summit. I had seen all of it I needed to see for one day, so we headed down the icy path. My body was really starting to give out, but I kept going. Having Chuck along with well-timed conversation made it as fun as it could be given, that I’d now been awake for 24 hours.  

I was slightly zombie-like the last mile or so, I don’t really recall if we talked, I was done. But, then we saw my wife’s headlamp she guessed on our arrival time and walked up the trail to meet us and guide my broken body back to the car.

In total it was 24 straight hours without sitting down. 44 miles and nearly 16,000 feet up and down. Nuts! I would not encourage anyone to try it, unless they have a good deal of mountaineering under their belt… and a crazy streak!

But, I love our land and I’m honored to have found a way to raise money for a cause that’s important to me.

Cheers,

Michael Biggs

• October Guest Appreciation Raffle Prize

Fjällräven's first duffel bag, Sailor Bag 214, was released in 1973. Almost 40 years later Fjällräven released Duffel No. 4, which continues in the same spirit and offers versatile functionality and a classic, clean design. Its strong, waxed fabric and leather straps mean that this bag will stay with you for years and become more attractive the older it gets.

• Rogue River Keeper & KS Wild - Bear Creek Salmon Walk Series: Oct. 15th

Join Rogue Riverkeeper & KS Wild this fall for fun, educational walks along Bear Creek to see the salmon coming home. Meet at Lynn Newbry Park parking lot, Talent.

Come on out and see our iconic salmon end their journeys from the sea to their home waters. For more information, go to our website at http://kswild.org/get-involved/Events/salmon-walk-1

Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 10 AM - 12 PM
    Lynn Newbry Park - Talent, OR
  • Rogue River Keeper & KS Wild - Bear Creek Salmon Walk Series: Oct. 9th

Join Rogue Riverkeeper & KS Wild this fall for fun, educational walks along Bear Creek to see the salmon coming home. Meet at Lynn Newbry Park parking lot, Talent.

Come on out and see our iconic salmon end their journeys from the sea to their home waters. For more information, go to our website at http://kswild.org/get-involved/Events/salmon-walk

Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 10 AM - 12 PM

Lynn Newbry Park - Talent, OR 97540

• Rogue Valley Audubon Society - Field Trip to Howard Prairie & Hyatt Lakes: Oct. 14th

Come look for fall mountain birds at Howard Prairie and Hyatt Lake. Meet at 8 a.m. in the Ashland Rite Aid parking lot. Bring water and lunch. No need to RSVP. Contact trip leader Frank Lospalluto at:

fdlospallutoatgmail.com, if you have questions.

Saturday, October 14 at 8 AM - 1:30 PM

Howard Prairie Lake

• Ashland Forest Resiliency Stewardship Project & North Mountain Park - Bear Creek Salmon Festival: Oct. 7th

Ashland Forest Resiliency partners will be available to answer your questions at this year's Bear Creek Salmon Festival. This year’s theme “Communities Connected by Water” encourages our community to learn about the interconnectedness of our entire watershed, from the highest peaks, through our communities, and to the lowest creeks. There will be a variety of fun outdoor activities, booths, live musical performers, demonstrations and delicious food concession provided by Sultan’s Delight.
    You and other regional organizations and businesses are encouraged to participate as exhibitors- to share your message and showcase your projects with community members.
    To learn more visit www.BearCreekSalmonFestival.net or call the North Mountain Park Nature Center at 541.488.6606. We hope you can join us at North Mountain Park, 620 N Mountain Avenue, in Ashland.

Saturday, Oct. 7th - 11am-4pm

620 N Mountain Ave, Ashland, Oregon 97520

• Lomakatsi & Ashland Forest Resiliency Project - Restoration Ecology Hike: Oct. 21st

Saturday, October 21st, 10am – 4pm

It’s FREE! It’s FUN!

It’s a great way to learn more about your watershed, the work of Lomakatsi and the Ashland Forest Resiliency Project. Along this educational hike you’ll engage in lively conversation about ecological restoration and fire ecology with Lomakatsi staff.

The 4-mile hike, mostly downhill, will start at Lamb Saddle and descend the watershed ending at Lithia Park.
    Shuttle will be provided by Lomakatsi

SPACE IS LIMITED
    and
    REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED

Questions? Call Shane at 541-488-0208 or email shane@lomakatsi.org

• Coyote Trails - Seniors Fireside Circle-up: Oct. 23rd

Ages: 60+

Are you itching to be outdoors, but don’t know where to start? Are your outdoor skills rusty? Join other seniors for short walks along our Nature Center trails, be introduced to some basic outdoor awareness skills, enjoy fireside discussions, and brain storm about future classes and activities!

cynthia shelter

Date: Monday, October 23rd, 2017
    Time: 1-3 pm
    Location: Coyote Trails Nature Center (click here for directions)
    Cost: $10/participant

• Coyote Trails - Intro to Wildlife Tracking: Oct. 21st, 2017

Ages: 10-Adult

The ground beneath your very feet is full of stories, just waiting to be discovered! Come learn your tracking ABCs with us-- you might never look at the ground the same way again!

red fox track

Date: Saturday, October 21, 2017

Cost: $15/student

Time: 1-3pm

Please dress for the outdoors. No experience required! (Registration closes by Oct. 17).

Cancellation Policy:  There is a $10 fee for each day-class registration cancelled or changed.  Notification of cancellation needs to be received four (4) days prior to the first day of your class in order to receive a full refund minus a $10 processing fee for each student.  No refunds are issued if cancellation occurs within less than four (4) days of your class.

• Southern Oregon Land Conservancy - White Oak Farm & Forest Tour: Oct. 21st

White Oak Farm and Forest Tour

•   
    • White Oak FarmWilliams, ORUnited States

Guides: Taylor Starr (co-owner), Dr. Tom Atzet (retired Forest Ecologist)

Focus: Farm & Forest Ecology and Farm Programs

Description: Nestled into a northern fold of the Siskiyou Mountains near Williams, Oregon, White Oak Farm (WOF) is a small, non-profit farm-based education center. Tour the conserved farm and forest with co-owner Taylor Starr and former SOLC board member, Dr. Tom Atzet, to learn about the farm’s sustainable land use practices, community programs, and restoration efforts. Then take a stroll through the forested hill above the farm with Tom and learn about the ecology and wildlife. Bring a bag lunch and enjoy eating with a view of the Williams Creek Watershed.

Learn more about WOF at www.whiteoakfarmcsa.org/.

Read about our conservation partnership with White Oak Farm on our blog at landconserve.org/news/aug/2016/to-keep-a-promise.

Meeting Location: Williams, OR. Medford carpool option is available.

Difficulty: Half the tour is on low valley bottom. The other half is on trails on a small forested hill.

Directions will be emailed upon registration. For more info or help with registration call 541.482.3069 or email info@landconserve.org.

SOLC event page

• Southern Oregon Land Conservancy, King Salmon Spawning Watch at Rogue River Preserve: Oct. 15th

King Salmon Spawning Watch at Rogue River Preserve

Rogue River Preserve60 Rogue River DrEagle Point, OR, 97524United States

Guide: Randy Frick, fish biologist

Focus: Salmon migration and stream ecology

Description: Randy Frick, retired USFS Fish Biologist, will host this ½ mile walk on level terrain to a spot where a number of Chinook salmon are seen spawning in the fall. We’ll learn about stream and salmon ecology while enjoying the beauty of this recently conserved property. There will be other wildlife sightings during the walk and along the river. Bring appropriate gear suitable for the weather. If you have them, polarized glasses are useful for better observation through the glare of the water. We'll have some extra glasses to share.

Southern Oregon Land Conservancy recently purchased and conserved this iconic 352-acre parcel along the Rogue River. For more information on this property go to Conserve the Heart of the Rogue.

Meeting Location: Rogue River Preserve

Difficulty: Slow-paced walking on generally flat ground on roads, trails and off-trail. Weed seeds and ticks may be present so long pants are advised. A portable toilet is available at the Preserve.

SOLC event page

Items 1 to 20 of 124 total